The first international conference on urban economy was held by Iran Urban Economics Scientific Association with cooperation of Bank Shahr on May 19, 2016 with presence of many experts, researchers, professors, international and Iranian urban managers
v In the opening ceremony, after the Islamic Republic of Iran’s national anthem and the recitation of the Holy Quran, the secretary of the conference reported the process of the conference and explained the necessities facing with conference in order to achieve its goals. In the following, Dr. Hossein Mohammadpour Zarandi, the chair of the conference welcomed the audience and Iranian/foreign guests and explained the dimensions, components, and indexes of urban economy. Dr. Kwaak, the president of World Citizen Organization, was another speaker. It was followed by Dr. Alireza Daliri, the Deputy of Management and Resources Development in the Vice-Presidency of Science and Technology and Dr. Hassan Ghafoorifard, Ex-M.P and member of the Supreme Council of Cultural Revolution.
- At the end of this ceremony, top municipalities of metropolises, less-prosperous cities, and top urban neighborhoods in the field of urban economy, particularly for achieving to urban sustainable revenues, were awarded by the officials.
- After this ceremony, three technical panels, entitled “resistance economy, Islamic banking, and urban finance” as the main panel in the conference hall of Bank Shahr, “economy of urban infrastructures and smart city” and “economy of urban tourism” in the sub halls were started officially in the morning and afternoon.
v The panel of “resistance economy, Islamic banking, and urban finance” was chaired by Dr. Hossein Mohammadpour Zarandi. Dr. Mohammad Mahdi Zahedi was the secretary of the panel. Dr. Mohammadreza Poorebrahimi, Dr. Jafar Qaderi, Ali Yazdani, Dr. Ahmad Shabani, Ms. Leili Allahverdiyeva, Dr. Vahid Riyazi, Asghar Zareie, Mrs. Ebru Urcu were the members. This panel was held in the morning and afternoon from 11:00 to 13:30 and 14:30 to 16:30 respectively.
9 articles were presented by researchers at the mentioned panel. Some questions were asked by the Board and audience and they were answered by researchers.
The most important issues proposed at this panel:
1. The impact of tax on capital earnings (estate and housing)
2. Solutions for avoiding speculation in housing market
3. Renovation dues, sustainable revenues, and calculation of taxes
4. The necessity of Iran’s Rial system reform and financing
5. Organizational excellence of Bank Shahr and its impact in the agility of bank services
6. A necessity to implement the dispersion of places and infrastructures principle with the approach of resistance economy
7. Passive defense and cities’ sustainability in the time of crisis
8. Attention to organizations’ human capital as a key element for resistance economy
9. Attention to the dimensions of entrepreneurial marketing
10. Necessity to use citizens’ capacities and participation
11. Explaining urban economy and resistance economy
12. Effective factors on urban entrepreneurship
v The second panel of this conference was held entitled “economy urban infrastructures and smart city.” It was chaired by Dr. Mahdi Pandar in the morning session and Dr. Gashtasb Mozaffari in the afternoon. Brigadier General Seyyed Teymoor Hosseini, Dr. Morteza Ghoorchi, Dr. Taher Parizadi, and Lorenzi Felici were members. Nine articles in different fields including smart city, knowledge-based city, land and urban housing, and other urban infrastructures were presented at this panel.
The most important issues proposed at this panel:
1. Development of sustainable transport
2. The impact of country divisions on the economy of land and housing
3. The impact of megamalls on the quality of life
4. Ranking infrastructures of 22-district of Tehran
5. Necessity to determine Tehran’s GDP
6. Attention to citizenship right
7. Attention to fair division of space
8. Necessity to use knowledge-based technologies
9. Participation of all beneficiaries
10. Necessity to use global experience
v The third panel was devoted to the issue of “urban tourism.” This panel was chaired by Dr. Davoud Danesh Jafari. The secretary was Dr. Shamsosadat Zahedi. Dr. Alireza Daliri, Dr. Naser Aminian, Dr. Parvaneh Parchakani, Dr. Seyyed Saeid HAshemi, Dr. Kiyoumars Habibi, Dr. Abbas Ardakanian, Dr. Ali Movahhed, and Dr. Naser Rezayi were the members in the morning and afternoon from 11 to 13:30, and 14:30 to 16:30 respectively.
The most important issues proposed at this panel:
1. Creating brand of the last urban tourism destination
2. Developing comprehensive document of Iran tourism
3. Participating all beneficiaries in the field of contextualizing and developing urban economy
4. Balancing at all levels of urban economy
5. Accurate locating urban tourism
6. Emphasis on religious tourism
7. Improvement of hoteling status
8. Emphasis on health and wellness tourism sector in Iran
9. Development of new banking services in the field of foreign exchange
10. Development of infrastructures facilities
11. Citizenship education in order to deal appropriately with tourists
12. More attention to the issue of air pollution
13. Improvement of the security situation of highways and roads
14. Improvement of health and welfare services for tourists
v After these panels and summary of panel discussions to be presented by the scientific secretary of the conference, closing ceremony was started with the recitation of the Holy Quran in the main hall. The scientific secretary of the conference summarized the reports of each panel and explained their achievements. In the following, Mr. Lorenzo Felici spoke and and Mr. Suandee Vallop shared the experiences of Bangkok. Dr. Sadeghi Shahdani, the scientific secretary of the conference reported and read final statement of the conference. Here is the full text of the statement:
The final statement of international conference on urban economy
With the assistance of Beneficent God and supporting CEO and authorities of Bank Shahr, the first international conference on urban economy was held and issues including resistance economy, municipalities’ finance, economy of urban infrastructures, smart city, and economy of urban tourism were discussed by professors, students, experts, and Iranian/foreign urban managers. Different challenges of urban economy and their solutions were emphasized at this conference. Participants have agreed on the following issues:
1. Creating smart city by influencing on urban functions is able to optimize municipal costs in order to achieve sustainable development goals as well as help urban managers.
2. Development of urban institutions such as councils can use people’s capacities in urban management and play its clear role in reviving economic capacities of neighborhoods.
3. Creating sustainable revenue is one of the basic challenges of city management. Unavailability of sustainable revenue for cities, particularly for small ones, influences the efficiency of city management negatively.
4. Development of urban eco-system can improve the quality of municipal services and pave the way for urban businesses favorably.
5. Organizing informal jobs influences greatly on creating urban order as well as developing urban businesses compatible with urban environment.
6. Financing urban projects is one of the main challenges in urban economics and management. Public and private sector participation in financing projects provides sustainable condition for presenting municipal services and paves the way for implementing resistance economy.
7. In order to create sustainable revenue for municipalities, it is necessary to use tax capacity for the capital of property and housing.
8. In order to make cities smart, it is necessary to create strong information bank based on GIS for economic planning of city.
9. In order to achieve smart city, legal foundations are of great importance.
10. Decisions made by Islamic city councils are very determining for the condition of boom and recession of urban housing.
11. Full use of urban tourism capacities requires accurate planning. In this regard, transferring the economy to the public that is one of the resistance economy policies for reviving cities’ tourism opportunities of the cities should not be ignored.
12. Activating urban tourism needs brand finding process.
13. Creating urban tourism brand provides essential attraction for tourists.
14. Creating clusters of urban tourism and developing tourism cluster map in cities provides the conditions for economic competition and improvement the quality of tourism services.
15. Combining cultural and economic elements in cities can develop urban tourism and it will result in maximum use of urban tourism capacity.
16. Lack of attention to the principle and mechanism of urban economy makes the future of sustainable finance of municipal services difficult and it will be followed by lack of efficiency of city management.
17. Non-optimal pricing of municipal services makes financing system of municipalities difficult.
18. Revision of municipal rules and regulations can prepare the ground for creating and developing urban sustainable development.
19. System of value added tax has prepared an appropriate ground for creating urban sustainable revenue. Solving the problems related to VAT and municipalities’ share of it will be influential in increasing urban sustainable revenues.
20. In order to finance urban investment, it is necessary for banking system to play its role in this regard.
21. Using new bodies for urban finance such as crowd funding can eliminate the concerns of city management in the field of urban finance.
22. Desirable urban development needs to create urban infrastructures based on knowledge-based processes and technologies compatible with the environment.
23. In implementing successful models of city management, it is necessary not only to use the world’s successful experiences but also to use domestic and regional capacities of Iran’s cities.
24. In implementing smart city, it is necessary to use all capacities of Iranian and foreign experts.
25. It is expected that the government to play its influential role in financing urban infrastructures. The government’s aid does not negate independent following up for creating sustainable revenues for municipalities.
At the end, we appreciate efforts and compassionate support of Dr. Poorzarandi, Board of Directors, officials, and managers of Bank Shahr, B.D. and employees of Iran Urban Economics Scientific Association, members of policymaking council, and members of secretariat of the conference.
At the end of closing ceremony, 17 top articles were awarded in different fields related to the conference topics.
During this conference, the book on “social banking with a glance to urban economy and human resource training” written by Dr. Hossein Mohammadpour Zarandi and Seyyed Mohsen Tabatabaei Mozdabadi was unveiled with the presence of some scientifically outstanding figures. It was applauded by the audience due to its modern approach to the issue of banking.
Several MOUs were signed between Iran Urban Economics Scientific Association (IUESA) and numbers of companies, organizations, prestigious international centers including World Citizen Organization (WCO) and Iranian-Georgian Cultural Center.
Issuing online and simultaneous certificate of attendance was one of the important advantages of this conference.